Friday, July 11, 2008

This really stinks

Last week, my supervisor observed me teaching. At the follow up, he apologizes for the textbook I was given, that its not really that great, and I shouldn't use it for much more than homework. What?! Now, I'm expected to come up with all my own stuff and I have nothing to work from? Now, this shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I work much better, faster, and more efficiently when I have something to start with... a textbook is a great thing to start working from.

I've had several classes since that talk, and I've done what I can to pull in other stuff. I've looked and browsed and pondered. I found some things to help the student practice the modals in past tense, the current topic and fun stuff, I must say. And then, on Thursday, after class, a student says to me, "I wasn't sure about taking grammar, but I learned something new today. Thank you. And you are a good teacher." Wow. Talk about making my day. After struggling with the news to not use the textbook and about frizzing over it. Its all working out. That feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!