Sunday, November 27, 2011

More on "Growing Up Sew Liberated"

As I stated before, I like this book. But, more recently, I've found a few things that have caused me to like it a little less. None are issues that can't be overcome, though.

First, it seems all her patterns are sized very small. I know my little Peanut is big for his age (he's extra long, though of average weight -- long and skinny he is). But when I make an 18 to 24 month top, I expect it to fit okay. Second, the clothes need to be appropriate for that age.

About a month ago I made the reversible baby sweatshirt. Its very cute and looks very cute on Peanut. I even made the 18 to 24 month size to allow it to fit well over a layer or two of clothes if needed, and to account for his extra length.

See how cute this sweatshirt is!

I more made it "lined" rather than reversible. And Peanut looked so cute in it, too.
I love those green striped pants. And doesn't it look like Peanut and Hank are imitating each other?
The ties were an issue though. Peanut *loved* to chew on them, which untied them, and they are long. I was worried he would swallow it and I'd have to pull it out... oh, that sounds just horrible!

The body fits nicely and is big enough that Peanut can wear a layer or two underneath and have room to grow into it. That seems important at this stage in the game.

The sleeves, however, are quite snug. I think the author must assume that babies are big bodied and skinny armed, as those sleeves are a tight fit, even with only 1 tee shirt underneath.

I can change the sleeves on this sweat shirt, so I'll just adjust the pattern for the next one. But the straps came off and I put on snaps. I love snaps... bang, bang and they are attached. Good for getting out aggression, too.  It not quite as cute any more, but now I'm not worried about sweet little boy chocking on the ties.

As a seamstress, I'm still learning how to cut the fabric such that I can trust the seam allowances. But that is another story of Rachael learning to follow instructions and color inside the lines.


1 comment:

  1. Gosh your work says your no less than a professional tailor ! The sweatshirt and the pattern you are talking about and the green lining thing, all have been tailored so beautifully and if you've realized you've got great talent man! Your baby is cute:)
    Check this out -
    Baby Talk
    Are you helping the speech development of your baby?
    http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/babytalk/babytalk_instructions.asp

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!