Monday, August 29, 2011

Dairy free recipe: Prok chops with onion compote

We like onions, and just about anything with onions on or in it. In this case, slow-ish cooked onions with a white wine sauce on porkchops? Oh, yes. And its dairy & egg free (see note below).

This is a recipe from Martha Stewart Living (the magazine), but its altered slightly... because I only  have 1 skillet.

Preheat oven to 375'. Put a cookie sheet or such in the oven to heat as the oven heats. I put down foil on the cookie sheet to make it easy to clean. Heat about 2 TBSP oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper the porkchops, and brown in the hot oil, about 3 minutes each side. I can only brown one porkchop at a time. Put the browned porkchops on the hot cookie sheet in the oven and let them bake to desire doneness.  I let them bake for about 5 to 10 more minute, then turn the oven off but leave the porkchops in the oven.
porkchops in the oven
In the skillet that you browned the porkchops in, add a bit of oil and let it heat up. Turn the burner down to medium heat. Slice 2 onions. Put them in the hot oil and let them brown slowly. Give them a good 20 to 30 minutes to brown, stirring occasionally.



When they are a nice golden brown, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of white cooking wine, or white wine vinegar (I use white wine vinegar). Let it simmer until almost all the liquid is gone; this will take 5 or so minutes.

Serve with rice and a green salad.

Note on the egg-free: I've noticed a pattern and I'm not certain its dairy bothering Peanut. The pattern indicates it might be egg, so I'm now going sans-eggs. The plan: two weeks with no symptoms and I'll do a "challenge" -- first milk, then egg. Hopefully, I won't have to drop anything else from my diet.

2 comments:

  1. Have you added more veggies and grains to your diet to make up for the loss of dairy? Maybe you should go vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed the title -- oops!

    Vegan? No-way. That means sans-meat also, and I'm not about to give up meat!

    I have added more veggies and fruit, and I'm baking bread to get some grains. When the weather cools off, I'll do more barley and such. I just don't like rice enough to eat more than I already do!

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!