Sunday, August 28, 2011

Non-dairy recipe: Pizza substitute

Hubby loves pizza and Friday is pizza night. But, as I'm doing the sans-dairy thing, no cheese for me. And that's just weird having pizza, sans-cheese.  So, I came up with a permissible substitute... bread sticks with marinara sauce.

I made pizza dough as I normally do, but saved a chunk off the bit I rolled out for the pizza. That I divided up and rolled each bit into long ropes. I baked the pizza dough ropes with the pizza. I saved back some of the sauce, dished out my favorite sweet onion vinegarette dressing (no dairy!) and I had a nice dinner.

My pizza dough (sans-dairy)

In a mixer bowl with a dough hook (or in a good sized bowl and a hefty spoon), mix:
2 Tbsp yeast
2 cups warm water
2 cups wheat flour

Let sit for 10 to 30 minutes (however much time you have).  Then turn the mixer on low and add:

1 to 2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Add about a half cup of white flour at a time, till the dough holds together and isn't so sticky. You'll need about 3 to 4 cups. If you are doing this by hand, you'll need to pull the dough out of the bowl at some point and knead by hand. Either way, kneed or run the mixer till the dough is smooth and stretchy, about 8 or so minutes by hand, less by mixer.

This is enough for 2 thin crust pizzas at about a 10 inch diameter, or one thick crush 10 inch diameter pizza. Pulling off enough for 3 bread sticks still gives a decently thick 10 inch diameter pizza.

The marinara sauce I like, I found here. I've stopped adding maple syrup as I don't have any (used some homemade vanilla syrup first time, then no sweetener the next time, and liked it just as well). I've also used sherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. All three were good, I liked it with the balsamic best.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I've always thought pizza crust was dairy free. What was the recipe with dairy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. pizza dough is usually dairy free, but one can add powdered milk for a boost in nutrition if desired.

    This is as much me learning to find things that just don't have dairy in them, as adjust recipes to be dairy-free.

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!