Friday, June 03, 2011

The best years of my life

Today, Hubby and I celebrate 5 years of wedded bliss.  Quite honestly, each year keeps getting better, and so far, these have been the best years of my life. I'm not too afraid of growing older, especially because each year keeps getting better... if its this good now, how good will it be in 20 years?

Sure, we've had our ups and downs. Between my mom passing on, finding we weren't getting pregnant on our own, getting through comprehensive exams (both of us at some point), and any number of small disagreements and disappointments, there have been hard times. But the ever deepening friendship, the intimacy we've been able to foster, the birth of our son, and any number of small blessings and joys that show up have far outweighed the difficult parts.  We strive to be honest with each other, even went that honesty hurts, to communicate when we are angry, hurt, disappointed or frustrated, to believe that the other has good intentions, and to forgive each other quickly (even when emotions say not to). We've certainly made each other cry or be angry at some point or another, but believing that the other has good intentions goes a long way towards getting past the hurt.

The easy part has been rejoicing with the other. When Hubby got through comps with an A last summer, that was easy to celebrate with him (and everyone else who was done with that summer's exams). When we discovered we were pregnant last September, it was easy to celebrate together and plan how to share that news with family and friends. Nonetheless, this has been a critical part to balancing the negatives.

And then there is friendship. Hubby is my bestest of all friends. We enjoy just talking together and sharing, gaming together, talking about gaming, playing board games (that pit us together against the game -- not against each other; we discovered that early one), even talking philosophy (I'm learning the vocab to sound like I know what I'm talking about).  With out this friendship, our good relationship would be much harder to maintain.

5 years ago, just about to the hour

Two nerds in a pod
I love you, my husband. And I'd choose you all over again, with even more enthusiasm and determination to make you mine.

4 comments:

  1. How lovely--enjoy celebrating....and each other!

    Wonder if/when you'll change that baby age timeline to weeks/months~~Hee hee~~Can you imagine...."my baby is now 852 days old"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations! Lots of people say not to expect too much in marriage, but you are evidence that that is false. I'm glad that I have examples in my life of people for whom marriage just keeps getting better. The fact that it does get better shouldn't surprise me-- after all, God created it--so it's great to be reminded. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made up "852 days".....I haven't actually calculated how old my children are in days (they are 19 & 17 years old). I was just giving a funny example. :)

    Have a good day from a rainy, Wintry Cape Town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What an exciting time in your lives.... may you look forward to many more happy years together as man and wife :)

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!