Thursday, June 09, 2011

Book Review: Home Comforts

Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping HouseHome Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the ultimate reference for how to keep a house in running order. It's not a book to be read through in a few sittings, however, it's an encyclopedia to be referenced as needed.  Not to say it isn't engaging... I certainly read it through cover to cover and am reading it again. But most people are not of the mindset I am.


The author states directly, in her introduction, that *noone* is expect to pick up from nothing and do all she talks about. She discusses the variances in how a house might be kept and that one must start small and work up. She discusses that your house or apartment or studio or whatever is going to be different from hers and that you will need to consider what your home needs. Thus, it will take some time to get your routines and systems up and running, but once you do, your home runs smoother.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the whys and wherefores of keeping house.






View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I love that book and did read it from cover to cover, too :) I refer to it often and am very glad to have a copy on my shelf. I'm looking to find another 2 copies to put in each of my daughter's hope chests - excellent reference value!

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!