Friday, April 01, 2011

Is it reasonable to ask a 11 year old to be quiet?

Silence and Education

A coworked shared this today via google reader. I feel like I'm always asking students to stop talking and that no one has bothered to teach these children how to STOP TALKING and moving and being disruptive. I suspect its not that anyone hasn't tried teaching them, just that the lesson hasn't fully been taken in.

I'm reminded of Proverbs (13:3) "The one who guards his mouth preserves his life; The one who opens wide his lips comes to ruin." The inability to stop talking is a grave downfalling and though I don't expect an 11 or 12 year old to have aquired the ability the to fully guard their words, it seems they should have some ability to be quiet. Even more true for students 13 and up, yes? Are my expectations wrong? The kindergartners seem to have developed this skill of keeping one's mouth closed... is this just lost as students get older?


You might be able to tell this is a major frustration of mine. Though I must be thankful this is one of the biggest issues I deal with. One the chance that one of my students reads this, I'm thankful for each of you and its only because I desire to see you grow into a mature and competent adult that I even care about such things.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think its unreasonable at all. I work in a library and can certainly appreciate the seeming lack of ability to be quiet by kids/teens today.

    Your students are no doubt fortunate to have a caring teacher like you.

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!