Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Defending Life, two ways

I love life, and truly believe life, human life, is worth defending. There are two things that I do with this aim in mind.

First, I support pro-life movements. Yep, I believe that life begins at conception (not implantation, not birth), and that from that very, very small beginning life is worth defending. And for the first time here in Waco, I'm going to do CareNet's Walk for Life! I'm hoping to at least earn a tee-shirt by raising $150. If you, my dear reader, would be up for sponsoring me, please let me know in the comments or via email (which you can find in the side bar).

Second, I donated breast milk. I didn't do as well with this as I had originally hoped, as it seems that pumping and nursing are two very different things and just because one works well for you doesn't mean the other one will. Anyhoo, I donated what I could, and hope to do so again someday.

Today, I got this email:

We have said it before, and there is no doubt we will say it again. We absolutely cannot do our crucial work if it weren’t for the generous women who choose to share their milk.
We will say it over and over, but the bottom line is that we still need more.
 
The babies need more milk. We are desperate and need your help.   
The requests from hospitals for safe, pasteurized, donor human milk have almost doubled in the last year and a half. We can’t keep up with the demand. Last week we were short by 2,200 ounces on our hospital orders; this week it is 3,000 ounces. Every ounce short is a fragile infant who will not receive life-promoting human milk, but cow's milk formula instead, raising risks of disease and even death.
We have approved 119 extraordinary donors so far this year, but it’s just not enough.  
 
EVERY healthy lactating mom with a baby under one year of age is eligible to be a donor 
Unfortunately, not all of them know that milk donation is an option, or how easy it can be. Which is where you, our friends and supporters, come in. 
Between now and Mother’s Day, we are challenging you to spread the word about the Mothers’ Milk Bank at Austin. Start the conversation with a pregnant or new mom, click on the "tell-a-friend" button, share it on your facebook page, blanket your community with brochures. Tell them they could save a life!   
The first ten people to refer a brand new donor* to the Milk Bank will receive a $10 Starbuck’s gift card as a small token of our thanks. Yes, we know you’re not doing it for a cup of coffee, but we want you to know how grateful we are. 
The real gift will be to know you had a hand in the health of the next generation.
What are you waiting for? Get out there and spread the word!

So, yeah, I'd love to win a gift card to Starbuck's, but more importantly, I'd love to hear that another nursing mother is donating excess milk.

And there is my sweet Peanut waking from his nap! What timing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!