Friday, December 10, 2010

The Kitchen Sink

Well, not exactly, but the shelf behind the kitchen sink. For better or worse it, it opens into the living room. Not all bad, I can watch TV or a movie while washing dishes, which is nice. (except trying to cut back TV and movies!). I somewhat wish it was a window outside, but I'm quite happy how it is.

I was inspired to clean up the area, so I could post a link on one of my favorite blogs.

Here is the before:

A bit cluttered, and all those pots and pan in the drainer block the fun frog dish. So, I spend about 2 minutes, cleaned it off and arranged.....
 The frog dish was a gift from a good friend back in LA when we were leaving. I keep jewlry in it; like when I need to take rings off to cook and such. The plates and cups were gifts many years ago from someone who was more my Mom's friend than mine.  The small red candle was a thank you gift from my aunt at Thanksgiving. The angle holding a baby is a gift from my mother-in-law soon after we discovered we were pregnant. The tarnished silver creamer and sugar are from Hubby's grandfather's collection. They are due for a shining, which I hope to do soon. :P And the candle I bought on the candle warmer I purchased years ago. I enjoy the candle warmer, except that it uses up the scent without using up the wax, so its hard to know when  candle is spent (and I haven't have an effect smeller in several weeks).  I have pump bottles for dish washing soap (left side, white) and hand soap (right side, clear), and a fly catcher (the sink traps are hard to dry and attract the little fruit flies -- easiest way to control them).

I try to keep the sink shiny (Thanks, FLYLady!), and hubby helps keep it empty.  I hope to show the flow of my kitchen soon, I think I've got it mostly figured out.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Thanks so much for sharing!
    I didn't think about a kitchen that opens to another room when I had the idea for sprucing up the area above your sink, but several ladies have this. It can be very nice if you make sure people don't elbow in on that space ;)

    Your sink is a lot like mine, but your counters are way nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Auntie Leila. My counters are both a blessing and a curse. They clean up nice, but they hide all sorts of crumbs and bits of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Beautiful! Love the candle nearby and the angel :)

    Linking up from Like Mother, Like Daughter.

    Have a lovely week, Tamara

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!