Sunday, September 18, 2011

Planning the week

Its been weeks since I've taken time to plan out the week on Sunday. I find my week goes better when I take the time to plan out when I'll grocery shop and I can see all the activities of the week. I have a nifty template I use to help me plan my week.

Its a basic document (on the computer) that has 5 columns: Day/Date, Events, Menu, To Dos/Need, and To Dos for Next Day. The rows are for each day of that week; I run the week Sunday to Sunday, with an overlapping Sunday week to week generally. Some weeks, I might run the document Friday to next Sunday (a week and a half) if I've got time to sit down and plan on Thursday or Friday.  Here is a google doc to see how I format the document.

I added the events column as I would plan meals forgetting about something I was doing that day that would effect the meal in question. I added the to dos/need column as I would forget to add some particular ingredient or somesuch to the grocery list if I had to look over a recipe (yes, its a bit redundant, but it works well for me). This column also lets me put down things that have a specific day it needs to be done on.  I added the next day column as at times I needed the reminder to pull the chicken out of the freezer two days before I was to cook the chicken (or some such).

I still have a calendar that hands on the wall for general planning and knowing what's going on. I pull the calendar down to work from as I'm planning the week.

I'm one that needs everything written out at some point, otherwise I forget.

How do you plan out your week? Do you plan it out?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I do plan my week, but I do it a little differently. I use my iphone calendar for all planning as I have it with me at all times (nearly). Shocking from someone who is really not a tech savvy person! I plan our outings based on when I have to be in town for children's lessons (swimming, piano and dance) to avoid extra trips in to town. I actually schedule my errands, etc. in my phone for the day/time in question and I even set alerts to remind me to make all my stops. This has SAVED my feeble brain on so many occasions! i like to start the week sort of organized too and so on Sunday I look at what's coming up and how I can modify/schedule to simplify the week.

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!