Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day time Naps

Peanut has never been a good napper. He sleeps great at night, though. I figured out sometime in month 2 that if given the chance, he is happy to go to bed for the night at 7 pm, and would get up about 630 or 7 the next morning. True, he would wake me to nurse several times and night (though most recently, I'm up 1 or 2 times at night only), but each time he went back down very easily. I'm uncertain he actually woke up during those nursings.

But the day time naps are a different story. I'm sure that first week or two, he slept fine, but from sometime in month 1 and on, he would sleep 15 to 45 minutes tops 2 or 3 time a day. Which means he is an utter pumpkin by 5 pm.

This last weekend, with our guests, has meant a change in sleeping locations. Usually Little Bobble naps in the guest bedroom, but for this weekend, I put her in the nursery and put Peanut in, ahem, our closet. Yes, our closet. Does this make me a bad mother? I hope not, because he naps great in there. We are guessing it has to do with it being so much darker in the closet than his bedroom. The absence of windows will do that!  I found that first nap time in the closet went for 1 1/2 hours. Twice his longest nap time. Amazing. I thought maybe he was just tired. But this has held out. Consistently, he will sleep 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours in the closet.

When is he napping? I've wanted to get onto a more consistent nap schedule for a while. Little Bobble is very consistent, she gets up about 9 to 930 am, and naps from 1130 to 130... very nearly on the dot. Peanut has been forced into a schedule based on this. He gets up by 7 am, and goes down for his first nap at 9 am. Since starting napping in the closet, I'm now waking him up at 10 am or so. He is ready for nap #2 by about 1230 or 1 pm. This is unfortunate, b/c it gives me very little time to myself while both Peanut and Little Bobble are both napping. Ah, well, I can deal. I am thinking I want Peanut up by about 2 pm, so he can get a third nap around 4 pm. This takes me through to bed time very  nicely with out turning pumpkin before about 630 pm.

Of course any day I run errands, or when we go to church, or I go to Bible study messes with the schedule. But I guess that's life.

Peanut loved playing with Srinivas, who was our guest this weekend. It was a ton of fun watching them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!