Monday, February 28, 2011

Yummy White Sauce

A good friend shared a simple white sauce recipe a while back. Its so very yummy on spaghetti with a red sauce (with sausage) to mix it with. Ah, almost to die for.  However, the white sauce isn't so "healthy" and neither Hubby nor I need a lot of extra calories or fat, would rather get those from the dessert! Here's the original:

Melt 1/2 stick of butter and saute 1 Tbsp of minced garlic in it till honey brown. Stir in a small carton of heavy cream and 8 oz of cream cheese (cut up is best). Stir until all is melted and blended. Add any desired herbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese until melted. Do NOT boil. Serve fresh from stove.

I adjusted it a bit to make it more "healthy" (though who knows that means, really...) I used a spoonful of butter to brown the 2 tbsp garlic and I left out the heavy cream and used about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of non-fat milk. It made a bit less, but it came out just right to give me enough left over for lunch tomorrow.

I'm all about adjusting recipes to fit our needs, and this time it worked. Very nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!