Saturday, November 19, 2011

Book review: Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts


Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques and 150 Inspired Ideas for Sewing, Embroidery, Applique, Quilting, Dyeing, and PrintingMartha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques and 150 Inspired Ideas for Sewing, Embroidery, Applique, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing by Martha Stewart Living
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I grabbed this book from the library and I think I'll actually buy it.  She's got good information on the various ways of using fabric and the things you can make from fabric. If you've read her magazine, many of these projects will seem familiar -- I think all the projects were originally presented in the magazine. I am one who will tear out the projects I like and save them in a binder. This book allows me to toss out all those pages and have one book with the ideas. Plus, its got a CD of all the templates used in the various projects, so no more going to look online for them. The book came out in 2010, so likely projects in the magazine from 2009 and on aren't in this book. And there are likely projects from the magazine that didn't make the book.


The pictures are all in color, and she explains different kinds of fabrics and their uses. There is a section for the various sewing notions and tools one might find and use.


This book only teaches the most basic of sewing skills -- basic hand sewing stitches, machine stitches, some embroidery stitches.  But she does not discuss or attempt to teach more advanced sewing techniques -- some I can think of are darts, gussets, making pleats and such. I guess these are used mostly in clothes and she discusses a great deal more than clothes.


Conclusion: it's worth the $22 on amazon if you enjoy M.S. style projects.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!