Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Review: Silmarillion


The SilmarillionThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a must read. For everyone. Even if you don't generally like "fantasy". Because this is not fantasy... this is art.


This book documents the creation of middle earth and the years leading up to the war of the rings (which is known Lord of the Rings Trilogy). The characters are so real, the stories amazingly engaging.


Be prepared to work for it, though. This is not written at the "popular" level, and if you read it as if it is at that level, you will be quickly lost and bored. This book requires you to really pay attention to what you are reading, and give it the time it deserves. I took nearly 2 weeks to read it, when I would normally read a book this size in a few days.  And it is worth every minute.






View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. A few days! It takes me several weeks to get through any book these days...hence the reason I haven't returned the book that I borrowed from you like, six (or nine) months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!