Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Review: The Edible Front Yard

The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful GardenThe Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden by Ivette Soler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book. Its full of colorful pictures of various plants and has good descriptions many, many plants that are edible and look good, or would go well with an edible landscape. I love the idea of this book, and will, someday, have an edible front yard. For now, I will strive to make my backyard garden look nicer.


Main complaint: most of her examples and pictures are of easy-to-grow-things climates, whether nice temps or water-rich. Sure, she says that if you live in Arizona, your edible front yard will look different that if you live in the NW, but she doesn't directly address it all that much. She does give a short list of drought tolerant edible plants, but there were only about 5 on that list. I know this is likely due to her writing about what she knows... she lives in Southern California, which is an easy-to-grow-things kinda climate (I lived there for 6 years, and grew all sorts of stuff in pots on our balcony). Why do I have a lawn out front here in central Texas? When it brown from 3 1/2 months of 100+' weather and rain twice in 6 months, it doesn't look overly bad. The garden, on the other hand, is looking not so great, and it gets watered every few days.


Anywoo, a fun gardening book, worth getting if only for the pictures.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!