Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review: Growing Up Sew Liberated

Growing Up Sew Liberated: Making Handmade Clothes and Projects for Your Creative ChildGrowing Up Sew Liberated: Making Handmade Clothes and Projects for Your Creative Child by Meg McElwee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read the book, and have finally gotten to make something from it. The baby is getting to where he escapes the swaddling, so he needs something that will stay on him better. I decided to make the baby sleep sack.


The directions are easy to follow and there are enough pictures to answer questions about arrangement and such.


I made one major mistake. I had it to the point of having the sleeves sewn on, when I realized I had sewn the two body pieces together in the wrong order. The directions say to put the back piece on top. I assumed that meant on top as I arranged them, with wrong sides facing up. But it should be back on top when the child is wearing it. So, I ripped out the sleeves and re-did the body pieces.


But the sleep sack is done, and baby will wear it tomorrow night!  I plan to make several more, some in heavier material. This one was from an old tee-shirt that hubby doesn't wear any more. Next post will have more details and pictures.






View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. You will love having a sleep sack. We used them for all our kids and they worked extremely well to keep all the babies warm and covered through the night. My Mom knitted a few sleep sacks for us and those were particularly nice in that they stretched a bit so they worked well with cloth diapers (especially when we had to put extra inserts in a night when they were sleeping through). We got LOTS of wear out them. I can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!