Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A day in the life of Rachael

Had a good day today. Samuel took a nice long nap in the middle of the day, so I got some sewing done, and lunch eaten while not nursing (seems he particularly wants to nurse when I have food to eat).

I was able to finish two fleece soakers of the small size.

The two wool soakers are both of the "small" size and the fit beautifully right now. But when I went to try the soakers on Samuel, I couldn't get them much past his knees. I'm debating whether to put them in the 'too small' box or make a change. I'm considering cutting the waist band and putting in a loop and button for closing it. I think I'll try this on one soaker and still make 2 in a slightly bigger size.

A few days ago, I got the whim to actually read the manual for my sewing machine. I learned quite a bit, on little bit being I can create almost serger type seams. Very cool.

Bummer, the picture isn't as clear as I'd like, but I think you can tell.

In light of the soakers being too small, I endeavored to measure my little boy.


Its not easy trying to use a measuring tape on a little guy who only stops moving when he's asleep. And look at that TOME next to him. Martha's book is significantly heavier than Samuel. And it has lots of nice pictures. I like books with pictures, and its even better when they have words telling you about the pictures (versus just pictures, or just words). My favorite books have lots of pictures and lots of words, which tends to make them rather big books.

This evening, I started tracing and cutting out pattern pieces for the baby sleep sack in Growing Up Sew Liberated. I have some white, light weight jersey I'm going use, appropriate for sleeping in on hot summer nights (when the a/c actually kicks on at night to keep the house at 78').

3 comments:

  1. What kind of sewing machine do you have? I've been thinking about getting a new one to replace the one I inherited from mom. I wondered if you'd have any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I'll reply here... I have Grandma A's old sewing machine. I don't have any recommendations, perhaps one of the more avid sewers who also read my blog would have a recommendation? Hanna? Mrs. Mac? Little Home in the Country? Oona -- I'm sure you know what brands are good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could recommend a sewing machine. I am using a Husqvarna from the 1970's and it's persnickety... in the shop more than not :( I'd love to buy a new machine, but it's not in the budget just yet... hope you get some good advice!

    Good job on the soakers, Rachael! it's lovely when babe settles in for nice long nap and you can tuck in and get something done :) 6 weeks was always that magical time when my babies settled into a routine that was fairly predicable.

    ReplyDelete

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!