Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Chocolate Pudding

I love chocolate pudding. Almost as much as I love chocolate and peanut butter. So, tonight the craving hit, and I remembered this post from Food Renegade.

So, I grabbed the recipe and went at it. I'm not one to skip a recipe just because I don't have some ingredient, not when I have something else that will work. I found that I didn't have any cocoa powder, but I did have unsweetened chocolate squares. I decided to substitute. I poured the milk, mixed in the corn starch (whisk well) and put it in a small sauce pan. I crushed 1- 1/2 chocolate squares into small pieces (plastic baggy + meat pounder) and added them. I added the honey and stirred, stirred, stirred as it heated. After perhaps 5 minutes (or less), it started to thicken and get bubbly. I added some butter and vanilla extract, and poured it into my Christmas gift ramekins. And took my first bite.

Not too bad. I can very distinctly taste the honey, which I'm not crazy about, and a bit more chocolate would be nice. I used non-fat milk and its plenty thick. I don't know that Hubby will like it, not if I'm ma ma hu hu about it (Chinese for horse, horse, tiger, tiger, meaning "meh").

Next time:

1/3 cup sugar
4 TBSP corn starch
2 sq. unsweetened chocolate squares
2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter

Whisk together corn starch and milk in a small sauce pan. Crush chocolate squares and add to milk. Add sugar and stir constantly over medium heat.

When it begins to thicken, remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and butter until evenly distributed. Pour into serving dishes, and serve warm or refrigerate and serve chilled.

So, thanks Food Renegade. I might not use your recipe exactly, but it gave me a good basis to work from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!