Monday, April 19, 2010

snack success!

I have been seeking healthy snacks that Hubby will enjoy. We are both rather picky eaters and tend to LOVE things like chips, chocolate bunnies, cream filled eggs, etc, etc. You get the idea. We didn't necessarily grow up on these things, but its an easy taste to acquire. If I snack, I miss meals, because I'm not hungry. Thus, I try to avoid snacking to very much. And I'm happy with a spoon full of peanut butter, should the need for a snack arise. Hubby, though, loves to snack, and, like a good human, will have no problem making room for dinner. Plus, he's not as into peanut butter. He is also working hard on the bike twice a day, so a yummy snack before bed is a good thing.

I know he like hummus, but hummus is expensive. Garbanzo beans, however, are about $0.70/can. So, like a good girl, I pulled out my new food processor (gonna try making peanut butter next!), drained a can of garbanzos, added 3 cloves of garlic and blended away. Looked a tad dry, so I poured about 1 TBSP of EVOO in and blended. Now, it looked much better. I added about 1/2 an onion, and ~1 tsp kosher salt. I blended away, noting that it smelled quite nice. Hubby also remarked that it smelled good.

I pulled out the tortillas, and gave it a swipe. Wow. Quite a bit of bit, for sure, but quite yummy. I'm already imagining the various variations I can create with the variety of additives from the garden. Between peppers, tomatoes, and various herbs, we've got lots of options. (Love my voracious use of v's?)

In summary:
1 can garbanzo beans (also known as chick peas)
1 to 3 cloves garlic
~1 TBSP EVOO
1/2 onion
1 tsp salt

blend well. Serve with your choice of topables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

As another blogger said, comments are like payment, its acknowledging the writer's effort. I'd love to hear your thoughts, ideas and responses... best done via a comment!